Sunday, September 29, 2013

Of Dogs, Presence and Acceptance


I was given a ride by a Tito (Uncle) on my way to the subway. Along came with us there dog. Tito asked me if it’s okay that the dog will be with me in the front seat. To which I answered favorably. While on our way to the subway, we were having some conversation while the dog was just sitting on my lap. I was actually enjoying its company. My thoughts on the other hand were already thinking, “This is why so many people love dogs.” They are just there waiting for you, sometimes sitting on your lap, or on your side while watching movies, not a single word spoken but just a little caress. Unlike when you are with people, they can sometimes be demanding, demeaning and inconsiderate, when all we need is but a presence that accepts us as who we are, listens to our unreasonable complaints and embraces us no matter how bad situation is.

Our presence can mean a lot, we don’t need to say a word but just a reassuring presence that they are not alone in there struggle. Letting them feel that they are accepted and that it’s okay to be vulnerable at times, can bring hope to a seemingly hopeless case. Situations can be very bad already and the least thing we can do is to add salt over injury. The world is in need of compassion; let us have a little dog in us. 

by aats

1 comment:

  1. As a dog lover, I get it....they wag their tail and jump in excitement when they see you. Yes, their unconditional love is something we should imitate. I mean of course apart from the unconditional love that God shows us, which is what we really should strive for. I'm just saying, who can resist some puppy love?

    ReplyDelete