Thursday, December 13, 2012

In Honor of Tatay

 


Today is no ordinary day for me. Today 92 years ago my Tatay (maternal grandfather) was born. He passed away 11 years ago at the age of 81. I can still vividly remember that day. I am happy that he passed away in peace yet sad at the same time for I will no longer see and talk to him. I have said my piece about him (you can read here: Tatay), but today I want to recall the many times he showed his love and care to us.

He was the most thoughtful person you could ever know. Every time he goes for a business trip in other place he will always have something for us when he returns home. He was a hardworking man to the point that when old age was catching up on him and he was not able to do the usual things he loves to do, it frustrates him. He loves to be somewhat in control but after having some strokes and bouts of diabetes he simply could not do the usual thing. It pains me looking at him that way. He did live a life worthy of remembrance.

For growing old so gracefully and living a life worthy to be emulated with, Tatay you are never forgotten. In all the storms of life that you’ve faced, in victories and defeats you were standing tall. You are a living classroom for lifelong lessons.

+ Arsenio Vasquez Tan
December 14, 1920 – April 13, 2001

by aats

No comments:

Post a Comment