Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I Know Where My Heart Is

 
 

I remember attending one of those many sessions at the Arvisu House, the Jesuit house that welcomes young men who are discerning for vocations. They have an open house every Monday evening and they invite young people to listen to some sharings or talks about vocations. It was during one of those Mondays that they showed a video about the life of a young Jesuit who was sent to Cambodia for mission.

Richie Fernando, SJ was assigned in the Jesuit Refugee Service technical school for the handicapped. In the school, the disabled and handicapped mostly because of landmines learn skills in order to earn a living. Many victims of landmines were actually young people, and the school actually provided a hope for these victims. One of the students named Sarom, a sixteen year-old victim of landmine was disruptive and was asked to leave by the school authorities. On October 17, 1996, he came into the school for a meeting. Angered, he swiftly pulled a grenade inside his bag and begun to move towards the classroom filled with students. Richie, knowing that the windows are barred and that students has no escape, he came behind Sarom and grabbed him trying to protect Sarom and the rest of the students from the bomb. Sarom tried to let go but along the way he accidentally dropped the grenade and killed Richie, he was 26 years old.  He died protecting the people whom God entrusted to Him. Deep in his heart, he has this deep capacity to love beyond himself. He said in his retreat diary dated January 3, 1996, “I wish, when I die, people remember not how great, powerful, or talented I was, but that I served and spoke for the truth, I gave witness to what is right, I was sincere in all my works and actions, in other words, I loved and I followed Christ."

It is inspiring that, centuries after Blessed Pedro Calungsod, the 17 year-old Filipino, was martyred in Guam, today, 4 days before he will be canonized we also celebrate the memory of another martyred Filipino who shed his blood in Cambodia. Brother Richie is a shining example to the capacity of young people to live out there faith and shed their blood for others.

In a letter to a friend 4 days before he got killed he wrote, “I know where my heart is. It is with Jesus Christ, who gave his all for the poor, the sick, the orphan ... I am confident that God never forgets his people: our disabled brothers and sisters. And I am glad that God has been using me to make sure that our brothers and sisters know this fact. I am convinced that this is my vocation/mission. I am a Jesuit. I know where my heart is.”

Do you know where your heart is?

by aats

No comments:

Post a Comment