Thursday, September 6, 2018

Lead, Kindly Light


Clearwater, Florida
Lately I’ve been listening to a song by Audrey Assad, “Lead, Kindly Light”, a beautiful song taken from a poem written by Blessed John Henry Newman. The poem was based on Exodus 13:21-22, “By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.”

Lead kindly Light, amidst the grey and gloom
The night is long and I am far from home
Here in the dark, I do not ask to see
The path ahead, one step enough for me
Lead on, lead on, kindly Light

I was not ever willing to be led
I could have stayed, but I ran instead
In spite of fear, I followed my pride
My eyes could see, but my heart was blind
Lead on, lead on, kindly Light

And in the night, when I was afraid
Your feet beside my own on the way
Each stumbling step where other men have trod
Shortens the road leading home to my God
Lead on, lead on
My God, my God
Lead on, lead on, kindly Light

Lord, in times when all I see is gloom and darkness, light my heart and lead it on. Amen.

by aats

No comments:

Post a Comment